Amidst the Q4 hustle, we’ve managed to get one more edition of Always Be Growing in before the new year. This edition focuses heavily on making sense of Cyber 5, wrapping up the rest of 2021 on a high sales note, and entering 2022 as prepared as possible. That said, happy holidays and see you in the new year!
- PODCAST: Website Replatforming and Migration Planning: Whether you’re B2B or B2C, major site changes like replatforming and migration are massive projects that require the utmost care. A single bad decision or omission in the process can disrupt an eCommerce website or destroy a site’s organic rank. Join eCommerce experts Scott Smigler (Exclusive Concepts), Frank Thomson and Graham Lubie (Accorin), along with Dan Fertig (BigCommerce), for a comprehensive discussion about website replatforming and migration.
- WEBINAR REPLAY: Webinar: Google SEO Playbook: Winning Organic Sales in 2022: Get the jump on ’22 SEO & learn how to:
- Interpret your crucial Google Core Vitals score.
- Use HTML markup to own the search results.
- Raise your content game to a whole new level
- Survive the upcoming Feb. ’22 Page Experience update.
- Thrive as Google transforms its organic results algorithm
- UPCOMING WEBINAR: Did you miss eCommerce Guide 2022 (Encore) Next-Level Growth and Transformation? Catch the encore presentation on Wednesday, December 5th at 2:00 PM ET. Register now.
Cyber 5 Post-Mortem and Holiday Assessments
According to eMarketer:
- Thanksgiving Day sales totaled $5.1 billion, on par with last year and up 21% from Thanksgiving 2019, per Adobe Analytics. Brick-and-mortar shopping was down 90.4%, as many major chains were not open, per Sensormatic Solutions.
- Online sales on Black Friday hit $8.9 billion, just short of the $9 billion spent in 2020, according to Adobe Analytics. In-store shopping increased 47.5% from last year, per Sensormatic. That’s down 28.3% from 2019.
- Small Business Saturday sales totaled an estimated $23.3 billion, up 18% from $19.8 billion in 2020, according to American Express. Since it started 12 years ago, consumers have spent an estimated $163 billion on Small Business Saturday.
- Consumers spent $10.7 billion online for Cyber Monday, a 1.4% decrease from last year, per Adobe Analytics.
- From November 1 through Cyber Monday, online sales totaled $109.8 billion, up 11.9% year over year (YoY), per Adobe Analytics. On 22 of those days, consumers purchased more than $3 billion worth of goods. Adobe predicts that sales from November 1 to December 31 will total $207 billion, a 10% increase YoY.
More Cyber 5 and Holiday eCommerce News of Note:
- Cyber Week May Be Giving Way to Cyber Month
- Online Cyber 5 Sales Fall Just Short of 2020 Pandemic Peak
- Black Friday Online Sales Nearly Match Last Year’s Record High
- Website Outages, Slowdowns Hit Dozens of Retailers During Cyber 5
- Strong Early‑Season Shopping Steals Some Thunder from Cyber Monday
- Amazon Boosts Share of Top 1000 Web Visits During Cyber 5
- Holiday Shopping: 3 Things to Know
- Marketers Pivot Holiday Messaging Strategy with Challenging Supply Chain
- Why This Holiday Shopping Season Started Earlier and Could Last Longer
eCommerce News Wrap of 2021 and Look-Ahead at 2022
- Worldwide Ad Spending 2021: A Year for the Record Books
- Social Commerce Usage in 2021
- Digital Ad Spending Is Surging, but Measuring Ad Performance Presents Challenges
- How D2C Brands Are Diversifying Consumer Experience to Disrupt the Retail Industry
- Reverse Logistics Is Retailers’ Next Challenge Amid the Supply Chain Crisis
- A Sustainability Strategy Will Be a Need-to-Have for Retailers
Google Search and Advertising News
- SERP Trends of the Rich and Featured: Top Tactics for Content Resilience in a Dynamic Search Landscape
- Messy SEO Part 1: Navigating a Site Consolidation Migration
- If you’re considering a website migration or replatforming, we can help. EXCLUSIVE clients continue to consistently elevate their website experiences by choosing BigCommerce as their website platform of choice. When it comes to website replatforming and migration, BigCommerce is a top-tier solution that integrates powerfully with EXCLUSIVE offerings. Click here to learn about kind of growth the EXCLUSIVE-BigCommerce partnership can unlock for your business.
- How Expired Landing Pages Kill Your Google Rankings
- Google Merchant Center Now Automatically Displays Badge Eligibility for Products
- Google Merchant Center Now Shows Relative Visibility, Page Overlap Rate, and Higher Position Rate Metrics
- Get your FREE Google Ads Scorecard to see where you’re wasting ad spend and where you could be driving revenue.
- Bing Now Lets You Search Local Stores
- Google Says It Values All Local Reviews, Both Positive and Negative
- Seismic Event or Overblown Rebrand: Local Search Experts Weigh In on “Death” of Google My Business.
- TL;DR: overblown rebrand that seemed to freak everyone out a little. No need to be freaked out or to wonder. Get the real deal on Google My Business (now known as Google Business Profile).
Resources, Help, and How-To’s
- Discover how your content ranks (and how to rank higher organically) with our aptly named Content Scorecard for SEO. It’s free and will show you areas where you may be sending the wrong signals to Google (and how to fix those).
- EXCLUSIVE can help you get a handle on all things digital marketing so that you outperform your competitors and grow reach and revenue. We offer both Managed Services and Consulting Services for SEO, PPC, social, marketplaces, email, and more. Contact us or get your FREE eCommerce growth analysis so we can design your customized growth plan.
About Always Be Growing: Your Biweekly eCommerce News Drop
So much happens so quickly in eCommerce news. It can feel overwhelming, even impossible, to keep up with the news and the changes that affect your business. But keeping up is a must for two reasons:
- You need to make sound decisions based on fresh (and reliable) information.
- If you miss a story, plenty of your competitors will have picked it up and left you behind.
The way to keep up and to make those sound decisions in a fast-paced noisy world is to get curated information delivered to you consistently. That’s why EXCLUSIVE provides “Always Be Growing,” our biweekly Friday blog feature all about eCommerce and digital marketing.
Why Always Be Growing? Because the EXCLUSIVE team is driven by 5 core values, the first of which is “Always Be Growing: Continuously strive to learn, share, and grow as individuals and professionals.” And that’s what this weekly Friday round-up is our way of sharing the learning in order to help you grow.